Development cooperation is one of the key elements for implantation of SDGs, particularly for Goal 17, “Partnerships for the Goals”. North-East Asia holds key players of development assistance and development cooperation, i.e., China, Japan, Republic of Korea and Russian Federation, and cooperation among those countries potentially bring significant benefits to the recipients/partner countries.
The Forum brings researchers and field experts of development cooperation in East and Northeast Asia region mostly from China, Japan, Republic of Korea and Russian Federation to discuss experiences and potential areas of cooperation for North East Asia.
The Forum is continuous partnership effort among ESCAP East and North-East Asia Office, China International Development Research Network (CIDRN), Japan Society for International Development (JASID), Korea Association of International Development and Cooperation (KAIDEC) and Russian Association of International Development Assistance Experts (RAIDAE).
The first North-East Asia Development Cooperation Forum was held in November 2014 in Seoul in collaboration with KAIDEC. Since then the partners have taken turns in co-hosting the Forums.
- The second Forum (2015) in Tokyo, co-hosted by JASID and JICA Research Institute,
- The third Forum (2016) “Development cooperation for Sustainable development Goals” in Suzhou, China, co-hosted by CIDRN and Department of International Cooperation of Development Research Center (DRC) of State Council of China,
- The fourth Forum (2017) “Development cooperation in SDG implementation for a more secure and prosperous world” in Moscow, co-hosted by Russian Association of International Development Assistance Experts (RAIDAE) and the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration,
- The fifth Forum (2018) “Evaluating development cooperation of North-East Asian countries for the achievement of SDG” in Seoul, co-hosted by KAIDEC,
- The sixth Forum (2019) “Reinventing multilateral cooperation and roles of Northeast Asian countries to achieve SDGs” in Tokyo, co-hosted by JASID and JICA Research Institute, and
- The seventh Forum (2020) “Experience and Challenges of North-East Asian Countries on Development Cooperation in the face of the COVID19 pandemic” (virtual meeting)