North-East Asia has become a key player in development assistance and cooperation in the Asia-Pacific region as well as in the world. However, there is no subregional or multilateral process that facilitates joint reviews of policies and practices of such assistance and cooperation, or that promotes dialogues and cooperation among key stakeholders in North-East Asia.
While development cooperation among those key players potentially brings a great benefit for the development of the Asia Pacific region, there has not been a strong drive for such cooperation due to varying strategies for development assistance and geopolitical factors among these countries. Thus, the Forum seeks to explore how development cooperation can be strengthened, focusing on four countries in North-East Asia, namely China, Japan, the Republic of Korea and the Russian Federation.
It also aims to support the link between politically neutral bodies for policy dialogue and multidisciplinary research on development issues and cooperation.
The Forum will be jointly organized by ESCAP East and North-East Asia Office and the Korea Association of International Development and Cooperation (KAIDEC), which is a network of scholars from academic institutes and government personnel working in development cooperation, private sectors, field workers and NGOs.
The Japanese Society for International Development (JASID), China International Development Research Network (CIDRN), and Green Technology Center Korea (GTC-K) will also collaborate with the Forum.
- Concept note for North-East Asia Development Cooperation Forum
- Tentative Programme of North-East Asia Development Cooperation Forum
- Session 1: Experiences of North-East Asia
- Session 3: South-South and Triangular cooperation
- Session 2: Improving effectiveness of development assistance- prospects for North-East Asia
- Session 5: Implementing cooperation for sustainable development in the region – technology facilitation
- Session 4: Towards regional development cooperation for sustainable development in the region