This year's session, addressed the theme “'Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality” and on the cluster of SDGs to be reviewed at the HLPF - in accordance with General Assembly resolution 70/299:
- Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
In line with the regional architecture for follow-up and review, the Forum conducted an in-depth review of Goal 4 on quality education, Goal 8 on decent work and economic growth, Goal 10 on reducing inequalities, Goal 13 on climate action, Goal 16 on peace, justice and strong institutions and Goal 17 on partnerships for the Goals and their interlinkages. It supported the presentation of voluntary national reviews and assessed progress of the regional road map for implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in Asia and the Pacific. Discussions on regional follow-up and review also informed the review of the high-level political forum on sustainable development.
The APFSD agenda addressed:
- Regional perspectives on the implementation, follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including in-depth review of the theme and cluster of goals; and
- Strengthening implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in the Asia-Pacific, including the assessment of the progress of the regional road map for implementing the 2030 Agenda in Asia and the Pacific.
For information on the People's forum which was held prior to the APFSD, please see: https://www.unescap.org/events/apcsfsd6 and click here for more information on the youth forum.
Subregional preparatory meetings for the APFSD
- North and Central Asia Forum on Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals, 3-4 September 2018, Tbilisi, Georgia
- North-East Asian Multi-stakeholder Forum on Sustainable Development Goals, 5-6 September 2018, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- South East Asia Forum on Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals, 11-12 September 2018, Bangkok, Thailand
- South and South West Asia Forum on Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals, 4-5 October 2018, New Delhi, India
- Pacific Forum on Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals, (followed by VNR workshop), 24-25 September 2018, Nadi, Fiji