Da Nang City, Viet Nam
Population: 1.134 Million (2019)
Population Density: 1,165/km2
Da Nang City is the largest urban centre and economic hub of Central Viet Nam. It has a total land area of 1,285 km2, located on the coast of the Eastern Sea at the mouth of the Han River. Da Nang City is a dynamic port with approximately 90km of coastline.
The total population of Da Nang City was approximately 1.14 million people in 2019, increasing 2.4% since 2018. Out of the mainland population, 87.2% live in the urban districts, and 12.8% in the rural district. The average population density in Da Nang is 1,165 people/km2, which is lower than Ho Chi Minh (4,363 people/km2) and Ha Noi (2,398 people/km2).
Plastic Pollution in The City
Municipal waste generation in Da Nang City has been steadily increasing alongside strong economic development. The average municipal solid waste (MSW) generation rate increased by 15-16% from 2016 to 2020. As of 2019, MSW generation in the City was approximately 1,177 tonnes per day, yet dropped 8% to 1,078 tonnes per day in 2020 due to the impacts of COVID-19. Based on a regular development forecast, the City will generate 1,794 tonnes per day by 2030 and 2.450 tonnes per day by 2045.
- Plastic pollution is a major problem in Da Nang City and requires immediate strategies and policy actions to mitigate the impact on the environment and economy. The majority of plastic waste generated is composed of single-use plastic bags (48%), plastic films (18%) and plastic bottles (7.5%) sourced from residential areas.
- Approximately 8% of the plastic waste from land-based sources enters the environment, primarily through fly-tipping, littering and uncollected waste. 1.3% of this becomes marine litter, which may seem small, but is equivalent to 1,087 tonnes per year and many millions of plastic products.
- Lightweight plastic waste (i.e. bags and films) is a particular problem as it is low value, making it unappealing for recyclers and highly mobile in wind or waterways.
- Although Viet Nam's The National Action Plan for Management of Marine Litter by 2030 aims to reduce fishing gear littered in the ocean, Da Nang City does not yet have a clear strategy to combat this pollution.
- Da Nang City has established ambitious targets in their policies regarding waste separation at its source and 3R activities. However, progress has been limited, partly due to a lack of public awareness, cooperation and monitoring capacity.
- The City needs to lead structural interventions to reduce single-use plastic products. These will include measures like advanced monitoring systems and better waste sorting mechanisms at source, including for residential communities, public institutions, schools, retailers and agriculture and aquaculture businesses.
- Strengthen the management and prevention of plastic waste from land-based waste sources and marine activities within Da Nang.
- Raise awareness, and change the behaviour and habits of individuals, communities, businesses and organizations to reduce plastic waste generation and promote the collection, recycling and reuse of plastic waste in the city.
- Achieve the goals of Prime Minister’s Directive No. 33/CT-TTg dated August 20th, 2020 on the use of single-plastic products and non-biodegradable plastic bags.