The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) has developed the National Expert SDG Tool for Energy Planning (NEXSTEP). This tool enables policymakers to make informed policy decisions to support the achievement of the SDG7 targets as well as emission reduction targets (NDCs).
The NEXSTEP tool is now being used to support countries in the region, upon their request, to develop their national SDG7 roadmaps. The program has been broadened to include city and subnational roadmaps. Ten roadmaps have been completed to date and several others are under development. In some countries, the roadmap has contributed to the development of national policies and strategies, while others are exploring avenues to mainstream roadmap recommendations into existing energy plans and policies.
The roadmap development process has been an important learning experience – for both ESCAP and participating countries and cities. The unique characteristic of this initiative is that each roadmap has been developed with a rigorous participatory approach and governments have taken full ownership of their roadmaps.
The Expert Working Group on Universal Access to Modern Energy Services, Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency and Cleaner Use of Fossil Fuels (EWG-SDG7) is a useful platform to facilitate such discussion and sharing of information, as well as identify avenues for improvement of the initiative which will offer the future direction of the Secretariat.
- Update participants on the application of the NEXSTEP tool and the progress of SDG7 roadmap development.
- Share lessons learned from NEXSTEP participating countries on challenges, opportunities and the plans for implementation of the SDG7 roadmap recommendations.
- Discuss issues and concerns in developing SDG7 roadmaps and identify how to further improve the initiative to make it more effective and impactful for countries as well as the region.
- Discuss the applicability of the NEXSTEP tool to support other developments, including the potential to undertake net zero carbon emission analysis and integrate with post-COVID-19 recovery planning for building back better and greener.
The meeting were organized in two sessions on 28 October 2021;
- Session 1 - From 9:00 to 11:00 hrs. (GMT+7).
- Session 2 - From 13:00 to 15:00 hrs. (GMT+7).
Presentations & Recordings
Presentations can be accessed at 'Documents' tab.
Recordings can be reached at 'Video' tab.
For further information, please contact [email protected]