The Committee on Statistics is a subsidiary body of the Commission dedicated to the development of official statistics in the Asia-Pacific region. The Committee is convened biennially, is serviced by the Statistics Division and addresses the following issues:
- Tracking key socio-economic and environmental trends in the ESCAP region, especially progress towards the Millennium Development Goals;
- Identifying data requirements for economic, social and environmental analysis in accordance with internationally agreed standards and good practices;
- Capacity-building for national statistical offices in the ESCAP region to produce, disseminate and analyse data in accordance with internationally agreed standards and good practices.
Key decisions from the Committee at its first session were:
- Decision 1/1 - Establishment of the Bureau of the Committee on Statistics
- Decision 1/2 - An action plan for the development of economic statistics in the Asian and Pacific region