Nearly 90 per cent of the population of the Asia-Pacific region regularly breathe air considered by the World Health Organization (WHO) to be unsafe. Globally, more than 7 million premature deaths are attributed to air pollution, with two-thirds occurring in the Asia-Pacific region.
Responding to the urgency for solutions to this growing environmental challenge common to many countries and cities across the region, the High-Level Forum on Clean Air will take place in Ulaanbaatar this week bringing together Ministers, senior policymakers and key stakeholders. The Forum is jointly organized by the Ministry of Environment and Tourism of Mongolia, the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) and the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP),
The Forum aims to further elaborate areas of policy and technical cooperation under the Regional Action Programme on Air Pollution, and engage multilateral, regional and national stakeholders to strengthen science-based and policy-oriented cooperation for improved air quality management. It will also explore partnership opportunities among multilateral and international organizations to accelerate national actions on clean air.
Members of the media are invited to cover the event.
What: High-Level Forum on Clean Air
When: 2 – 3 March 2023
Where: Shangri-la Hotel, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Registration for in-person or online participation: https://indico.un.org/event/1003855/registrations/9775/
- Oyun-Erdene Luvsannamsrai, Prime Minister of Mongolia
- Bat-Erdene Bat-Ulzii, Minister of Environment and Tourism, Mongolia
- Ali Salajegheh, Vice President of the Islamic Republic of Iran and Head of the Department of Environment
- Zulfiya Suleimenova, Minister of Ecology, Geology and Natural Resources, Kazakhstan
- Naseer Ahamed, Minister of Environment, Sri Lanka
- Ono Hiroshi, Vice Minister of Environment, Japan
- Choijilsuren Battogtokh, Minister of Energy, Mongolia
- Dongjin Kim, Deputy Minister and President, National Institute of Environmental Research, Republic of Korea
- Armida Salsiah Alisjahbana, United Nations Under-Secretary-General and Executive Secretary of ESCAP
- Dechen Tsering, Regional Director and Representative for Asia and the Pacific, UNEP
For more information on the High-Level Forum: https://www.unescap.org/events/High-Level-Forum-Clean-Air
For multimedia content: https://bit.ly/APCleanAirForAll