Population ageing is a megatrend in Asia and the Pacific, and it is rapidly increasing. On the 20th anniversary of the Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing (MIPAA), leaders and key stakeholders from across the region will come together to see population ageing not as a challenge, but as an opportunity to revitalize the role of older persons in our societies and as agents of change.
Convened by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific from 29 June to 1 July, this high-level meeting will address three priority direction of MIPAA: (1) older persons and development; (2) advancing health and well-being into old age; and (3) ensuring enabling and supportive environments. The meeting will also serve as a regional platform for reviewing achievements as well as prevalent and emerging issues impacting older persons.
Members of the media are invited to cover the event as follows:
What: Asia-Pacific Intergovernmental Meeting on the Fourth Review and Appraisal of the Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing
When: 29 June to 1 July 2022
Where: United Nations Conference Centre in Bangkok and webcasted at www.youtube.com/unescap
- Armida Salsiah Alisjahbana, Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations and Executive Secretary of ESCAP
- Liu Zhenmin, United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs, UN DESA
- Aishath Mohamed Didi, Minister of Gender, Family and Social Services, Republic of Maldives
- Claudia Mahler, United Nations Independent Expert on the Enjoyment of All Human Rights by Older Persons
- Eva Sabdono, Executive Director, Yayasan Emong Lansia (YEL), Indonesia
- Naohiro Ogawa, Professor Emeritus, College of Economics, Nihon University, Japan
- K.S. Reddy, President, Public Health Foundation of India
- Eduardo Klien, Asia-Pacific Regional Director, HelpAge International
For more information and the full programme: https://www.unescap.org/events/2022/asia-pacific-intergovernmental-meeting-fourth-review-and-appraisal-madrid-international
For media attending in-person at UNCC Bangkok, please register in advance at: https://indico.un.org/event/1000672/