Skip to main content
How many interns are accepted per period?

Approximately 30-50 (depending on projects).

What are the deadlines for applying?

Deadlines are flexible and variable, depending on the needs of the divisions ( see Terms of Reference)

Can I still send my application when the deadline is over?

Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.

Will I be informed of the receipt of my application?

Yes, automatic receipt will be sent.

Is a CV enough for an application? What do I need for the application?

All applicants are required to fill out the internship application form on the internship page.

How soon may I be informed about the outcome of my application?

It varies from case to case. In the majority of cases, selected applicants are notified about two months prior to the commencement of the internship.

May I be informed earlier to enable me to make preparations, such as funding, university approval or visa application?

In each case the applicant will be informed as soon as a decision is made.

When is the starting date of my internship?

The dates will be coordinated between interns and supervisors.

I am enrolled in a Master/ Ph.D Programme. Am I eligible to apply for the internship programme?

The United Nations internship programme is intended to expose students or recent graduates to the United Nations in order to enhance their educational experience and to help them to gain experience in the work of the Organization. Therefore, applicants to the programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:

  • Be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or,
  • Be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent).

Does an internship give credit for my studies?

Check with your university/educational institution.

What kind of skills are you looking for?

Generally, good academic and analytical skills, good language skills, excellent communication and interpersonal skills.

Do I get a certificate?

Yes, all selected candidates who have completed an internship receive a certificate stating the period of the internship and the name of the department or office to which the intern was assigned.

I am a citizen of a non-UN member state. Can I apply for an internship?

Yes, you may apply even if you are a citizen of a non-UN member state.

Is there a nationality quota on how many candidates may be selected from each country?

There is no such quota system.

Visa Requirements
What type of visa do I need for a UN internship?

UN interns must have a valid visa. Most common is the non-immigrant visa ED (Education). Depending on your nationality and student status (for instance whether you are studying in your home country or abroad), this may vary. Please check with Thailand Embassy/Consulate in your country of current residence.

Possibility of adjusting internship periods
Can I do a one-month internship?

The minimum duration of an internship is two months and can be up to 6 months.

Can I do a part-time internship?

Internship is on a full time basis only.

Can I postpone my internship until later?

Only with the approval of the divisions and supervisors.

Is there any financial or organizational support for housing issues?

There is no such support. Recommendations on housing options will be given.

Is there any information available for accomodation possibilities?

Interns may find the following websites useful: http://www.thaiapartment.com, and . The Internship Office does not have any special arrangements/agreements with any of the mentioned above. The Internship Office does not recommend or check any specific offers of accommodation.

Does the UN subsidize the rent for interns?

Unfortunately the UN is not able to subsidize rent for interns.

Cancellation/Refusal of offer
What is the procedure for cancelling or refusing the internship offer?

Selected applicants must notify the Internship Coordinator whether they will accept the internship or not, no later than two weeks after receipt of the written offer from the UN Secretariat.

Financial Aid
Can I get any financial support from UN?

Unfortunately, the UN cannot provide financial support to interns. All expenses connected with the internship will have to be borne by the intern or any sponsoring institution. Some universities and government provide financial support for internship with the UN. It is strongly suggested that you contact external institutions, organizations, foundations that may offer financial support for UN internship.

What kind of documents do I need to provide to the Internship Office upon acceptance of offer?

You need to send:

  • Signed offer letter and the internship agreement (no later than 2 weeks after receiving the letter of offer);
    Medical certificate of good health;
  • Proof of enrolment in a health insurance plan;
  • Proof of enrolment in a degree programme in a graduate school (second university degree or higher) at the time of the application and during the internship. Students pursuing their studies in countries where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and graduate stages must have completed at least four years of full-time studies at a university or equivalent institution towards the completion of a degree (Part 2 of application form).

What is the medical certificate of good health?

A medical document stating that you are in good health. There is neither a specific nor a required format. It does not have to be in English.

Do I need to have a health insurance plan?

Yes. You must have a valid health insurance covering your potential medical expenses in Thailand.

What are my chances of employment at the United Nations after the internship?

The Internship Programme is not related to employment in the United Nations. There should be no expectation of employment within the UN after an internship.

Interns shall not be eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, positions at the professional level and above carrying international recruitment status in the Secretariat for a period of six months following the end of their internship.

Entry-level professional posts reserved for external recruitment are filled through national competitive examinations (YPP) organized each year in a number of Member States. For further information, please check the Examinations and Tests Section's website.

How do I reach the UN internship programme?

Human Resource Management Section
United Nations Building
Rajadamnern Nok Ave.
Bangkok 10200, Thailand
Fax: +662 288 1045
E-mail: [email protected]