Making it Happen: Transitioning from MDGs to SDGs - Side Event at the Seventieth Session of the General Assembly
The side event “Making it happen: transitioning from MDGS to SDGS in Asia and the Pacific” will be jointly organized by the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) during the seventieth session of the United Nations General Assembly on 29 September 2015 in New York in Conference Room 7.
This high-level side event intends to provide a focused discussion on key implementation issues pertaining to sustainable development. The discussion will be centred on technology, finance and statistics and the challenges and priorities of countries with specials needs (least developed countries, landlocked developing countries and small island developing States) in the Asia-Pacific region relating to the implementation of the post-2015 development agenda.
- Assess the implication of the Addis Ababa Accord on financing for development for the Asia-Pacific region, especially with regard to leveraging the private sector’s participation and engaging institutional investors.
- Advance a regional framework for enhancing cooperation to identify and disseminate productive technology among developing countries and to strengthen modalities for transfer of technology, including affordable and viable green technologies.
- Accelerate the generation of a broader and richer flow of statistics to track both old and new priorities and to be used in preparing transparent monitoring mechanisms to serve as a launching pad for evidence-based policymaking.
- Align the global action plans of least developed countries, landlocked developing countries and small island developing States for implementing the sustainable development agenda, especially in the context of their large and varied development gaps and capacities.
- Review policy reforms, experiences and challenges within the Asia-Pacific region to identify best practices in delivering the needs associated with achieving sustainable development.
Organization and Participation
The side event will be organized as a high-level panel discussion, which will be followed by an open discussion. The panel will comprise selected Heads of States/Governments and senior Ministers from the Asia-Pacific region, and other stakeholders, and high-level officials of ESCAP, ADB and UNDP.
Related Links & Resources
- Summary of Asia-Pacific MDG Reports 2003-2015
- Asia-Pacific Regional MDG Reports
- Financing for Transformation: From Agenda to Action on Sustainable Development in Asia and the Pacific
- Asia and the Pacific: A Story of Transformation and Resurgence
- Asia-Pacific High-Level Consultation on Financing for Development
- Financing for Transformation: from agenda to action on sustainable development in Asia and the Pacific - Side event at the Third International Conference on Financing for Development
- United Nations Sustainable Development Summit 2015
- United Nations Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform
- Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)