3rd South-East Asia Forum on Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals
The 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) embody the strategic vision and aspirations of all countries for the future of development and its implementation will require comprehensive actions at the global, regional and sub-regional levels, as indicated in General Assembly Resolution 70/1 on Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The “3rd South-East Asia Forum on Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals” (hereafter referred to as the Forum) provides a unique opportunity to share sub-regional perspectives on the proposed theme of “Accelerating progress towards SDGs in Asia and the Pacific” to be addressed at the 7th Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development (APFSD) in 2020.
The main objective of the Forum is to foster deepened and shared understanding of member States and other stakeholders in South-East Asia on opportunities for accelerated and balanced implementation of the 2030 Agenda at the national and sub-regional level.
To achieve this, the Forum will:
- Take stock of sub-regional progress on the 5-year implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- Present national experiences in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and support capacity building for countries in the sub-region ahead of their Voluntary National Review (VNR) presentation in 2020;
- Identify main challenges in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and unlocking the means of implementation to overcome these challenges;
- Develop recommendations for accelerating progress towards the 2030 Agenda;
- Reflect on the complementarities between the ASEAN Vision 2025 and the 2030 Agenda.
By invitation and in their individual expert capacity:
- Representatives of institutions in ESCAP member States responsible for various aspects of implementing the SDG in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- VNR focal points and ESCAP focal points for sustainable development;
- Representatives of Local government organizations (Mayors, representatives of the municipality);
- Representatives of Regional and sub-regional organizations that support SDG implementation;
- Experts from think tanks and academia;
- Representatives from national parliaments; and
- Other stakeholders involved in SDG implementation at national, regional and global levels.
Duration and venue
The Forum is scheduled to be held from Thursday, 03 October 2019 to Friday, 04 October 2019, at the United Nations Conference Centre (UNCC) in Bangkok, Thailand.
The Forum will be conducted in English and all documentation will be in English.
The Forum will include panel discussions on key topics. Depending on the session focus, presentations maybe delivered by resource persons and experts.
The outcome of the Forum will consist of a summary of proceedings of the key topics and issues raised by participants, as well as training materials and presentation. The materials will be sent to participants and be made available on the ESCAP website.