The COVID-19 pandemic has brought devastating impacts to our member States. It has reduced their fiscal space considerably due to losses of tax revenue and extraordinary health and social expenditures. The achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) consequently becomes even more challenging. It is critical that UN Country teams can leverage the information and resources necessary to support our member States to bridge the SDG financing gap.
In this regard, UN Women and ESCAP are co-leading the Introductory Training on Sustainable Financing Instruments for an Inclusive Recovery training course, which is focused on thematic bond issuance. It aims to allow participants to gain a broad understanding of thematic bonds, such as green, social, gender, SDG and sustainability bonds in the following aspects:
- why they are important,
- how they can support the advancement of the SDGs,
- what pre-conditions are required,
- the role of the United Nations,
- tools available to support governments interested in issuing thematic bonds, and
- case studies and best practices of successful thematic bond issuances.
The content of this course consists of short 10 – 20 minute video segments and case studies, followed by the online live session on Monday, 28 March 2022, at 8:30 am EST. Participants can sign up for the live session here.