Situation of youth in Asia-Pacific
- Over 60 per cent of the world’s youth live in Asia- Pacific. This translates into more than 750 million young women and men aged 15 to 24 years.
- Almost half of these youth are concentrated in South and South-West Asia, which is in a prime position to eventually tap the youth dividend.
- Due to rapid population ageing, the number of youth in East and North-East Asia has already begun to decline.
- Overall, the youth population in the region reached its peak in 2010, and in the coming years is expected to drop.
- These demographic changes will profoundly impact the socio-economic development of the Asia-Pacific region.