Jointly organized with Greater Tumen Initiative (GTI) Secretariat and Federal Customs Service of the Russian Federation, the Workshop on Cross-Border Trade Facilitation and Single Window Implementation in Northeast Asia reviewed the progress of implementation or readiness of Northeast Asian economies (particularly, GTI members of China, Mongolia, Republic of Korea, and the Russian Federation) to engage in paperless exchange of trade-related data and documents among customs and relevant regulatory agencies, as well as trading community (traders and service providers) through national single window. By identifying the common elements and challenges, the Workshop also assessed the feasibility of a GTI-level single window environment in Northeast Asia. As part of ESCAP's continuing support to enhance the capacity of relevant GTI agencies involved in trade facilitation, the Workshop eventually contributed to improving cross-border trade facilitation and increasing trade activities within the subregion.
a. To assess current practices of information exchange on the goods conveyed across the sea, railway and road at cross-border checkpoints between trading community and customs authorities within the subregion;
b. To develop a proposal and/or action plan for cross-border paperless trade facilitation and single window implementation in the GTI region.
Participation (by invitation only):
The Workshop brought together GTI officials from customs and other relevant ministries/agencies such as trade, commerce, quarantine and inspection, directly responsible for automation, modernization and electronic systems, including national Single Window and experts from international organizations (e.g. ESCAP, World Customs Organization (WCO), GTI, United Nations Network of Experts for Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific (UNNExT)), regional entities (e.g. Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) and Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)), and the private sector.
Press release is available here.
- Programme for the Workshop on Cross-Border Trade Facilitation and Single Window Implementation in Northeast Asia
- Session 1: Cross-Border Paperless Trade and Single Window for Trade Facilitation
- Session 2: Implementation of National Single Window and Paperless Trade among GTI Countries
- Session 3: Implementation of Single Window and Cross-Border Paperless Trade - Lessons from Existing Regional/Subregional Initiatives
- Session 5: Enhancing Cross-Border Paperless Trade and Single Window Implementation in Northeast Asia - Issues and Opportunities for the GTI Region