The Pacific Urban Forum (PUF) is a regional event that aims to provide a unique and accessible platform for urban stakeholders to debate what creates a sustainable urban future for the region. Following the adoption of the New Urban Agenda and a renewed recognition of the many opportunities and challenges for the Pacific, the 5th Pacific Urban Forum (PUF5) will provide an inclusive multi-stakeholder platform for review of progress towards the Pacific New Urban Agenda and for exchange and dialogue for further action planning.
The Forum will thus:
- Review the Pacific New Urban Agenda based on country consultations and reporting, in light of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, Habitat III outcomes and to take onboard emerging issues. Based on consultations, seek to articulate a set of key action-oriented policy oriented goals for implementation.
- Seek to develop an Action Plan with concrete country and stakeholder commitments for the implementation of the Pacific New Urban Agenda along its pillars/ goals and related areas, including:
- Social Equity: Pacific Informal Settlements Upgrading Strategy;
- Environment, Resilience and Urbanization: “Ocean Cities” initiative from ESCAP;
- Urban Economy: Financing Cities and Local Economic Development;
- Urban Governance: National Urban Policies and multistakeholder partnerships;
- Urban Data and Technologies to accelerate sustainable development.
- Provide recommendations on how to anchor the Pacific New Urban Agenda within the institutional and political regional architecture in the Pacific and support greater policy coherence in urbanization strategies and frameworks, as well as proposed strategies for engagement with other SIDS.
- Elicit voluntary commitments from countries, cities, stakeholders and development partners for a more measurable implementation and follow up review process of the Pacific New Urban Agenda amongst relevant stakeholders active in the region.
- Provide capacity development / shared learning opportunities in particular with regard to informal settlements upgrading.
The outcomes of PUF5 will provide contributions and inputs into global and regional platforms for sustainable urbanization, such as WUF10 and the 7th Asia-Pacific Urban Forum (APUF7) hosted by ESCAP, UN-Habitat and Urbanice Malaysia from 15-17 October 2019 in Penang, Malaysia.