Fifteenth session of the SPECA Working Group on Trade
The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) and the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) are organizing the fifteenth session of the SPECA Working Group on Trade on 17 November 2020, back-to-back with the 2020 SPECA Economic Forum Regional Cooperation to Support Socioeconomic Recovery in the Wake of COVID-19 and the 15th session of the SPECA Governing Council (18-20 November 2020). The Working Group supports cross-border and regional cooperation for the implementation of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda in Central Asia, in the area of sustainable trade, (notably SDG targets 17.10 and 17.11). The session will focus on the deliverables of the SPECA Working Group on Trade:
(1) discuss collaboration among the SPECA countries in facing the COVID-19 crisis and in building joint positions in the WTO process;
(2) progress in the implementation of the SPECA Trade Facilitation Strategy and related roadmap;
(3) further development and implementation of the Principles for Sustainable Trade in the subregion; and
(4) studies and recommendations on non-tariff barriers to trade in the sub-region in the age of the pandemic.
The event will review national and regional plans and strategies of the SPECA countries for sustainable trade development and facilitation and strengthen cooperation among trade diplomats of the SPECA countries. Participants in the session and SPECA participating countries are requested to contribute their good practices and identify priority actions the SPECA Working Group on Trade could work on in the coming 2-3 years.
Related ESCAP publications and materials
- APTIR 2019 Executive summary EN/RU
- NTMs and Sustainable Development (Azerbaijan and Tajikistan)
- Trade facilitation in times of pandemic: practices from North and Central Asia
- Non-tariff measures and sustainable development in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan
- UN Global Survey on Digital and Sustainable Trade Facilitation: SPECA report
- Explaining the Framework Agreement in Russian language
- CB readiness assessment in Uzbekistan
- Fourteenth session of the SPECA Working Group on Trade