Asia-Pacific Stats Cafe series: Financing Statistical Development
The 15th session of the Asia-Pacific Stats Café series on "Financing Statistical Development" was held on Monday, 5 October 2020, from 12:00-13:30 p.m. (Bangkok Time).
About the session
As part of the Road to the UN World Data Forum in Bern in 2021, this Stats Café focused on financing data for development. With only ten years left to achieve our 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, many countries still lack even the basic data required to understand the scope of their challenges, let alone create solutions. This Stat Café outlined some of the recent developments in financing data for development, including the Bern Network on Financing for Data Development, and discussed what support to National Statistical Systems could look like.
The Road to Bern consists of a series of events leading up to the United Nations World Data Forum (UNWDF) in October 2021. Organized by the United Nations and the Swiss Confederation, the UNWDF is an event of global importance directly related to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. It provides a space for discussion between different communities of data producers and users to engage in a productive dialogue and identify ways to mobilise resources for data development. A virtual UNWDF will be held in October 2020 in preparation for the World Data Forum in Bern in 2021.
- Welcome: Ms. Gemma Van Halderen
- The importance of financing for data development as ex-Chair of the HLG-PCCB: H.E. Ayush Ariunzaya
- Road to Bern and importance of financing for data development for the 2030 Agenda: Mr. Thomas Gass
- Bern Network for Financing for Development: Mr. Johannes Jutting
- Bringing discussion to UNWDF 2020 and 2021: Ms. Francesca Perruci
- Concluding remarks: Mr. Pierre Hagmann
- Questions and Answers: Ms. Gemma Van Halderen
- H.E. Ayush Ariunzaya, Minister of Labour and Social Protection, Mongolia
- Mr. Thomas Gass, Head of the South Cooperation Department of the Swiss, Agency for Development and Cooperation
- Mr. Johannes Jutting, Executive Head of the Partnership in Statistics for Development in the 21st Century (PARIS21) and Secretariat for the Bern Network for Financing for Data Development
- Ms. Francesca Perruci, Chief, Development Data and Outreach Branch, UN DESA Statistics Division and Secretariat for the UN World Data Forum
- Mr. Pierre Hagmann, Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of Switzerland in Thailand