ESCAP and the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection of Mongolia will jointly hold a one-day event on social protection in the Mongolia on 7 June 2023. The event will comprise:
- National Consultation on Readiness to Implement Action Plan to Strengthen Regional Cooperation on Social Protection: Mongolia
- Workshop on SPOT Social Protection Simulator
Workshop on SPOT Social Protection Simulator
ESCAP has developed a microsimulation model, the SPOT Simulator, that enables users to examine the impact of different design features of non-contributory schemes on poverty, consumption, inequality and cost. Drawing on Household Income and Expenditure Surveys, the Simulator calculates the impact of providing non-contributory child, disability, and old age benefits on development outcomes at the household and population level. Presented in a user-friendly manner, it aims to make data around social protection policy options more accessible for policy makers.
The SPOT Simulator is a tool to support countries in building stronger, more inclusive, and comprehensive social protection systems in Asia and the Pacific. The half-day Workshop will introduce the SPOT Simulator and enhance understanding of its functions and relevance to supporting policy making on social protection.
Through the Workshop on the ESCAP SPOT Social Protection Simulator, participants will:
- Understand the SPOT Simulator design parameters of social protection schemes and tailor parameter settings
- Identify impact of universal social protection benefits have on poverty, consumption, and inequality, consumption and coverage
- Estimate costs of social protection schemes as proportion of GDP and government revenue
Participants will be key stakeholders in relevant line ministries and development partners working on social protection.
The Workshop will involve interactive group exercises. Participants are kindly requested to bring their own laptops to access the online tool during the Workshop.