The Royal Government of Cambodia endorsed the National Policy on Science Technology, and Innovation 2020-2030 in December 2019. In the following year, the Ministry of Industry, Science, Technology, & Innovation (MISTI) was established by the Royal Decree dated on 26 March 2020 with role and functioning made through sub decree dated on 06 April 2020. MISTI has been mandated as a subordinate body to the Royal Government of Cambodia to oversee this sector in the purpose of boosting the development of industry, small and medium enterprises including potable water.
With regard to the highest considerations of the government and to succeed in the mission with significant and fruitful outcomes, MISTI has framed and developed “Cambodia’s STI Roadmap 2030”, with the advisory support from United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), which is the vital and strategic policy document in realizing the government’s vision to transform Cambodia to an upper-middle income country by 2030 and to a high-income country by 2050. This roadmap specifically focuses on five pillars with clear and precise objectives within clearly-defined implementation timeframe as follows: (1) Governance, (2) Education, (3) Research and Development (R&D), (4) Collaboration, and (5) Enabling Ecosystem.
Complementing the “Cambodia’s STI Roadmap 2030”, a report on “The Science, Technology and Innovation Ecosystem of Cambodia” has also been produced by ESCAP to inform the formulation of robust, evidence-based STI policies in Cambodia. It examines the current policy frameworks, key stakeholders, and the strengths and weaknesses of the national innovation system.
To encourage the line ministries, institutions, and key actors to implement officially, effectively, inclusively, and accountably, MISTI holds this launching event to disseminate this roadmap for official use.
- To disseminate and roll out the “Cambodia’s STI Roadmap 2030”
- To promote readiness to the relevant ministries, institutions, and stakeholders to develop action plans in compliance with the policy mix reflected in the roadmap.
- Handover officially the “Cambodia’s STI Roadmap 2030”.
- Readiness for the collaboration with MISTI in implementing the STI activities and monitoring and evaluating the implementation under the guidance of National Council of Science, Technology & Innovation (NCSTI).
- Opening remarks delivered by Armida Salsiah Alisjahbana, Executive Secretary of ESCAP
- Cambodia’s STI Roadmap 2030 (also available in Khmer: download here)
- The Science, Technology and Innovation Ecosystem of Cambodia (also available in Khmer: ប្រព័ន្ធអេកូឡូស៊ីវិទ្យាសាស្ត្រ បច្ចេកវិទ្យា និង នវានុវត្តន៍កម្ពុជា download here)
For more on ESCAP’s work on promoting inclusive technology and innovation policies click here.