This online training is designed to provide an in-depth introduction on using R*, as well as how to use it to carry out analysis of trade data. The training includes quizzes after each section so you can check your understanding (you can skip those if you wish).
All techniques described can be equally used to analyze all sorts of data – not just limited to trade (in fact, a section on animated graphs plots the relationship between countries’ fertility rate over time and their respective GDP per capita).
The first four sections provide the basics of using R, whereas sections 5, 6, 7 and 8 focus on trade analysis. If you know how to program with R and are just interested in trade analysis, we suggest you start from Section 5. The sections are as follows:
1. R Basics
2. Loading data and subsetting
3. More data subsetting and loops in R
5. Gravity models
6. Non-Tariff Measures (NTMs) and incidence indicators, a simple case
7. Coverage ratio, Frequency index and Prevalence score for Viet Nam
8. Regulatory Distance
Once you’ve mastered the techniques in all sections, you can take a test to obtain a certificate of completion.
This online training is also available in Russian.
For more information, please contact: [email protected]
* R is a programming language and free software environment, with which you can manage data, conduct statistical analysis, build publication-worth visualization, and much more.