Ministers, government officials, persons with disabilities, civil society and private sector allies from across Asia and the Pacific will gather in Jakarta next week to chart a new path for the over 700 million persons with disabilities in the region.
Ten years ago, the Asia-Pacific region pioneered the world’s first set of disability-specific development goals - the Incheon Strategy to “Make the Right Real” for Persons with Disabilities. However, persons with diverse disabilities continue to face significant barriers to their full and effective participation in society.
The high-level meeting, co-hosted by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) and the Ministry of Social Affairs of Indonesia, will review progress and achievements made in the Decade (2013-2022), foster consensus on new strategic developments, and renew the region’s commitments to disability rights and disability-inclusive development.
Members of the media are invited to cover the event as follows:
What: High-level Intergovernmental Meeting on the Final Review of the Asian and Pacific Decade of Persons with Disabilities, 2013-2022
When: 19 – 21 October 2022
Where: Fairmont Hotel, Jakarta and webcast live at www.youtube.com/unescap
- Joko Widodo, President of the Republic of Indonesia (tbc)
- Tri Rismaharini, Minister of Social Affairs of Indonesia
- Jun Byung Wang, Deputy Minister for Social Welfare Policy, Ministry of Health and Welfare of the Republic of Korea
- Zhang Haidi, Chairperson of China Disabled Persons’ Federation and President of Rehabilitation International
- Armida Salsiah Alisjahbana, Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations and Executive Secretary of ESCAP
- María Soledad Cisternas Reyes, Special Envoy of the United Nations Secretary-General on Disability and Accessibility
- Maulani Agustiah Rotinsulu, Secretary General of the ASEAN Disability Forum and Co-Founder of the Indonesian Association of Women with Disabilities
For media interested to attend in-person at Fairmont Hotel, Jakarta, please register in advance via https://indico.un.org/event/1001790/registrations/8119/
For more information and full programme: https://www.unescap.org/events/2022/high-level-intergovernmental-meeting-final-review-asian-and-pacific-decade-persons