Technical meeting to strengthen gender indicators and related data production and use in response to policy demands in Viet Nam
The national technical meeting was organized by UNESCAP and UN Women’s Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, in collaboration with the General Statistics Office of Viet Nam.
Viet Nam is entering the closing stretch of the adoption of the second list of national statistical indicators on gender development, planned in June 2019. In this context, this meeting was an opportunity for national stakeholders involved to benefit from the UNESCAP Gender Policy-Data Integration Initiative and UN Women’s flagship programme initiative on statistics “Making Every Woman and Girl Count”, aiming to strengthen data and statistics for evidence-based policies and programmes on gender equality and women’s empowerment and to support the monitoring and implementation of the SDGs through better production and use of gender statistics.
The meeting provided a platform for effective user-producer dialogue in the context of gender statistics and indicators in Viet Nam to identify:
- national gender indicators responsive to national gender policy demands as well as the 2030 Agenda
- related data sources and production cycles, and
- ways forward on related data production, dissemination and use.
The meeting resulted in recommendations for the improvement of the latest draft of Viet Nam’s National Statistical Indicators on Gender Development and in the development of strategies for systematic gender data production and dissemination in line with needs of various users at the national level.
Key national stakeholders from a range of national agencies and departments who are users or producers of gender-data participated, as well as representatives of civil society organizations and academicians.
- Strengthening data and statistics for evidence-based policies and programmes to achieve gender equality and women's empowerment
- Session 1: Connecting policies and data for gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Session 1: The agenda 2030 for sustainable Development and the national plan on implementation of the agenda 2030
- Session 1: The policy landscape in Viet Nam (Vietnamese)
- Session 1: Data landscape for GEWE in Viet Nam (Vietnamese)
- Session 2: Introduction to the generic Policy-Data Integration tool (EPIC)
- Session 3: Towards the development of a comprehensive national indicator set on GEWE
- Session 3: Results and lessons learned from the application of EPIC, Group 1
- Session 3: Results and lessons learned from the application of EPIC, Group 2
- Session 3: Results and lessons learned from the application of EPIC, Group 3
- Session 3: Results and lessons learned from the application of EPIC, Group 4
- Session 4: Integration of a gender perspective in data production
- Session 4: Gender data production in Viet Nam (Vietnamese)
- Session 5: Communication and disseminating gender data
- Session 5: Opportunities and challenges for long term collaboration and dialogue between gender data users and producers