As the main platform for transport cooperation in Asia and the Pacific, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) has been monitoring the policy responses along the regional transport infrastructure network in Asia and the Pacific, as formalized by intergovernmental agreements on the Asian Highway Network, the Trans-Asian Railway Network and Dry Ports of International Importance.
A preliminary analysis of the measures instituted by the countries suggest that more effective use of existing regional transport cooperation mechanisms could mitigate the impact of such pandemics/emergencies on socio-economic disruptions. It also highlights the innovative solutions and practices, which in aftermath of the crisis, could make freight operations more sustainable, helping countries to make a quality leap in their transport connectivity.
To support a further exchange of information, views and expertise among the member States, ESCAP is organizing a regional dialogue on the Asia-Pacific transport connectivity during the times of COVID-19 pandemic. The main goal of the dialogue is to reflect on the lessons learned and identify further measures to strengthen sustainable transport connectivity. The outcome of this work shall be reported to sixth session of the Committee on Transport to be held on 11-13 November 2020.
In this context, ESCAP together with Organization for Cooperation between Railways (OSJD) are organizing a Joint ESCAP-OSJD Virtual Meeting of Experts on Challenges and Opportunities for International Railway Transport along Trans-Asian Railway Network and beyond in the times of COVID-19 Pandemic to be held on 7-8 July 2020 with following objectives.
- To share experiences in dealing with COVID 19 crisis and identify good practices that could be replicated or scaled up
- To identify short term and long-term measures to further enhance sustainability of railway freight transport based on among other recommendations of sixth working group meeting on TARN
- To operationalize Joint ESCAP-OSJD Statement on Strengthening international railway transport for a more sustainable transport connectivity in the aftermath of COVID-19 pandemic
Please find more information in concept note and tentative programme (attached).
- Session 1 - Presentation by ESCAP
- Session 2 - Presentation by EU
- Session 2 - Presentation by ESCAP
- Session 2 - Country Presentation - Georgia
- Session 2 - Country Presentation - Islamic Republic of Iran
- Session 2 - Country Presentation - India
- Session 2 - Country Presentation - Myanmar
- Session 2 - Country Presentation - Republic of Korea
- Session 2 - Country Presentation - Poland
- Session 2 - Country Presentation - Viet Nam
- Session 3 - Presentation by UIC
- Session 3 - Presentation by IEC
- Session 3 - Presentation by EU
- Session 4 - Presentation by CIT
- Session 4 - Presentation by Intertran
- Session 4 - Presentation by IEC
- Session 4 - Presentation by EU
- Session 4 - Presentation by ESCAP
- Session 5 - Presentation by CCTT
- Session 5 - Presentation by EU