High-level Intergovernmental Meeting on the Midpoint Review of the Asian and Pacific Decade of Persons with Disabilities, 2013-2022
ESCAP, in cooperation with the China Disabled Persons’ Federation (CDPF), organized the High-level Intergovernmental Meeting on the Midpoint Review of the Asian and Pacific Decade of Persons with Disabilities, 2013-2022, in Beijing from 27 November to 1 December 2017.
The Meeting comprised two segments: (a) a senior officials segment, held from 27 to 29 November 2017; and (b) a ministerial segment, held on 30 November and 1 December 2017.
It was attended by over 340 participants, including ministers and high-ranking officials from 30 member States and 3 associate members and representatives of United Nations and other international entities, as well as non-governmental or civil society organizations for or of persons with disabilities.
The Meeting achieved the following results:
- It undertook a midpoint review of the progress made, including gaps and challenges, in the implementation of the Asian and Pacific Decade of Persons with Disabilities, 2013-2022, and the Incheon Strategy to “Make the Right Real” for Persons with Disabilities in Asia and the Pacific;
- It discussed the future policy direction for building disability-inclusive societies in Asia and the Pacific, bearing in mind the synergies between the Incheon Strategy and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development as well as the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities;
- It considered and adopted by consensus an outcome document, Beijing Declaration, including the Action Plan to Accelerate the Implementation of the Incheon Strategy.
In addition, the Meeting appreciated the work done by members of the Working Group on the Asian and Pacific Decade of Persons with Disabilities at its first term (2013-2017) and heard expressions of interest from members, associate members and civil society organizations in serving on the Working Group for the second term, covering the period 2018–2022.
The Meeting was held in pursuance of the Commission resolution 69/13 of 1 May 2013 on the “Implementation of the Ministerial Declaration on the Asian and Pacific Decade of Persons with Disabilities, 2013-2022, and the Incheon Strategy to ‘Make the Right Real’ for Persons with Disabilities in Asia and the Pacific”.
The Meeting took place at a critical juncture when ESCAP member States and associate members were striving to build more inclusive societies at a time of global economic uncertainties and rising inequality, and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development provided a unique opportunity to promote disability-inclusive development across Asian and the Pacific.
- Information for Participants (PDF)
- Information for Participants (ePub)
- Guidelines for Country: Senior Officials
- Guidelines for Country: Ministerial Segments
- Guide for United Nations Entities / Agencies and International Organizations
- Guide for Civil Society Organization Observers
- Crowne Plaza Beijing Hotel Reservation Form
- Flight Information Form
- Tentative Programme (Chinese)