Fostering Sustainable and resilient recovery from COVID-19 in South Asia
The South Asia Forum on the SDGs (SASF), conceived as the subregional preparatory for the Asia Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development (APFSD) and the High-Level Policy Forum (HLPF) have been organized by the South and South-West Asia office of United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) in collaboration with South Asian member States, stakeholders and partners since 2017.
The “Fourth South Asia Forum on the Sustainable Development Goals” was jointly organized by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) and the Government of Maldives. The Forum took place on 2-3 December 2020 in virtual meeting format, as part of the preparatory process for the 8th APFSD to be held in March 2021, which in turn contributes towards the HLPF 2021.
The South Asia Forum on the SDGs (SASF) presented a unique platform to stakeholders from governments, academia, the international community, civil society and the private sector to provide subregional perspectives, identify priorities, share good practices, highlight critical outcomes and recommendations, which in turn feed into regional and global processes, in particular the annual APFSD and the HLPF.
The “Fourth South Asia SDG Forum” further focused on strategies and responses to build back better after the COVID-19 pandemic, in line with the 2030 Agenda for sustainable development and identify priorities to accelerate movement towards sustainable and inclusive development pathways. The theme of the 2020 SASF has been aligned with the theme of the 2021 HLPF “Sustainable and resilient recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, that promotes the economic, social, and environmental dimensions of sustainable development: Building an inclusive and effective path for the achievement of the 2030 Agenda in the context of the decade of action and delivery for sustainable development” to be addressed at the APFSD in 2021. It focused in particular on the cluster of SDGs to be reviewed at the 2021 HLPF, viz., SDG 1 (No poverty), SDG 2 (Zero hunger), SDG 3 (Good health and wellbeing), SDG 8 (Decent work and economic growth), SDG 10 (Reduced inequalities), SDG 12 (Responsible consumption and production), SDG 13 (Climate action), SDG 16 (Peace, justice, and strong institutions) and SDG 17 (Partnership for the Goals).
For information on the 2019 forum, please click on the following link - South Asia Forum on the SDGs
- Executive Secretary Speech - Fourth South Asia Forum on the Sustainable Development Goals
- Report - Fourth South Asia Forum on the Sustainable Development Goals
- Session 2 - Introduction to VNR Process - ESCAP EDD
- Session 2 - South Asia SDG Progress Overview - ESCAP-SSWA
- Session 2 - Country Presentation - Bhutan
- Session 2 - Country Presentation - Bangladesh
- Session 2 - Country Presentation - India
- Session 2 - Country Presentation - Nepal
- Session 2 - Country Presentation - Maldives
- Session_2_Country_Statement_Sri Lanka.PDF
- Session 3 - COVID-19 and MPI South Asia - Sabina Alkire
- Session 4 - Financing for the SDGs - Hamza Ali Malik