Fifth meeting of the Working Group on the Trans-Asian Railway Network
The Working Group on the Trans-Asian Railway Network held its fifth meeting in Busan, Republic of Korea, on 14-15 June 2017. The meeting took place in conjunction with the Global Smart Rail Conference which was co-organized by ESCAP and the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (MOLIT) of the Republic of Korea against the backdrop of the 8th edition of the Korea Railways and Logistics Fair (Raillog Korea 2017), co-organized by MOLIT, the Busan Metropolitan City Government and the Korea Railroad Corporation (KORAIL).
Among other deliberations, the Working Group noted, with satisfaction, that on-going and planned national railway projects were increasingly being geared towards improved connections to intermodal facilities and maritime ports. Other considerations included ways to further exploit existing lines to extend the reach of the Trans-Asian Railway network to hinterland and remote rural areas, and to study the development of efficient interfaces between rail and maritime shipping in ports of the region.
In discharging its functions as the governing body of the Intergovernmental Agreement on the Trans-Asian Railway Network, the Working Group also adopted amendments to Annex I of the Agreement, proposed by Cambodia and Thailand. The amendments, which were notified by the Secretary-General to all Parties on 27 July 2017, are set to enter into force for all Parties on 27 April 2018.
Ms. Ariadne Abel, Economic Affairs Officer, Transport Division, ESCAP, Tel: +66 2288 2068, E-mail: [email protected]
- Country presentation_Cambodia
- Country presentation_China
- Country presentation_Georgia
- Country presentation_India
- Country presentation_Lao PDR
- Country presentation_Myanmar
- Country presentation_Nepal
- Country presentation_Russian Federation
- Country presentation_Sri Lanka
- Country presentation_Tajikistan
- Country presentation_Thailand
- Country presentation_Turkey
- Country presentation_Viet Nam
- Organization presentation_AITD
- Organization presentation_Special Adviser to Russian Railways