Capacity Building Workshop on Facilitation of International Railway Transport to support Intra and Inter-regional Trade
Efficient international railway transport between Asia and Europe and vice versa requires high levels of legal interoperability. The existence of two legal regimes for international railway transport, however, poses challenge to legal interoperability for seamless railway transport. To overcome this challenge a common CIM/SMGS consignment note has been developed with the joint efforts of Organization for Cooperation Between Railway, Intergovernmental Organization for International Carriage by Rail and International Railway Transport Committee.
The use of the common consignment note still faces numerous challenges including lack of full understanding of the scope and practical measures for its application by the railways in the region. The Regional Cooperation Framework for Facilitation of International Railway Transport adopted through ESCAP resolution 71/7 in 2015 also identified the existence of different legal regimes for railway transport contracts as one of the fundamental issues that need to be addressed to facilitate international railway transport. It encouraged use of the common consignment note as bridge between two legal regimes.
In addition to legal interoperability, the facilitation of international railway transport in the region is constrained by: (a) inefficient information exchange between railways and among railways and border agencies, (b) lack of harmonization of customs formalities of international railway transport, and (c) absence of comprehensive performance indicator(s) to evaluate performance of international railway transport.
Accordingly, as requested by member countries, ESCAP is organizing above captioned workshop, with the support of the United Nations Network of Experts for Paperless Trade and Transport in Asia and the Pacific (UNNExT), with following objectives:
(a) discuss practical aspects of implementation of common CIM/SMGS consignment note;
(b) explore the need for harmonization of customs formalities for international railway transport through an electronic railway transit transport system, (c) ascertain the need for technical assistance/capacity building to support international railway transport in the region, and (d)discuss future activities of UNNExT’s Advisory Group on Transit.
For further details please contact: Mr. Sandeep Raj Jain at [email protected] or Tel: +66 22 88 1426
- Country Presentation - Georgia (Georgian Railways)
- Country Presentation - Georgia (Revenue Service)
- Country Presentation - India
- Country Presentation - Malaysia
- Country Presentation - Mongolia
- Country Presentation - Republic of Korea
- Country Presentation - Russian Federation
- Presentation - CIT
- Presentation - ERA
- Presentation - KFFA
- Presentation - OTF (1)
- Presentation - OTIF (2)
- Presentation - OSJD
- Presentation - UTLC ERA
- ESCAP Presentation - Enhancing efficiency of railways border crossing
- ESCAP Presentation - Cross border paperless trade in Asia and the Pacific
- ESCAP Presentation - UNNExT
- Presentation by Resource person - Facilitation of international railways transport in the ESCAP region
- Presentation by Resource person - Data Pipeline for the Digital railway corridor
- Conclusions and Recommendations