Capacity Building Seminar on railway network connectivity and interoperability challenges
The formalisation of the Trans-Asian Railway Network in an intergovernmental agreement that entered into force in 2009 was set to promote a wider use of rail transport through the development and operation of rail-based international intermodal corridors. These corridors, which are of critical importance for landlocked countries, are also a key element in advancing towards a more sustainable transport sector. However, significant obstacles still prevent the emergence of such corridors. Regional transport infrastructure connectivity, as a fundamental basis for addressing the challenges of regional cooperation and integration more broadly, is to be enhanced through continued development, upgrading, planning and operationalization of the transport infrastructure networks in the region and beyond, including through the introduction of new technologies and harmonized operational and technical regional standards.
Against this background, ESCAP has been actively engaging with its member countries in identifying areas for joint and coordinated actions aimed at addressing infrastructure requirements, capacity bottlenecks and institutional issues.
As such, the forthcoming seminar will see transport planning officials from Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, China, Georgia, the Islamic Republic of Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkey and Uzbekistan discuss key issues and potential next steps for addressing railway network connectivity and interoperability challenges that still prevent a wider use of rail transport for international movements amongst themselves and beyond.
Ms. Ariadne Abel
E-mail: [email protected]
- Country Presentation - Afghanistan
- Country Presentation - China
- Country Presentation - Georgia
- Country Presentation - Kazakhstan
- Country Presentation - Kyrgyzstan
- Country Presentation - Tajikistan
- Country Presentation - Turkey
- ESCAP Presentation - Study on potential multimodal corridors in Centeral Asia
- ESCAP Presentation - ESCAP recent studies on railway transport
- ESCAP Presentation - Institutional mechanism(s) for effective operationalization of corridors
- Presentation - ADB
- Presentation - ECO
- Presentation - UIC