Asia-Pacific Stats Café Series: Asia and the Pacific CRVS Systems’ Responses to the COVID-19 Crisis
The fourth series of Asia-Pacific Stats Café on "Asia and the Pacific CRVS Systems’ Responses to the COVID-19 Crisis", was held on Monday 22 June 2020, 10:00-11:00 Bangkok Time.
The current pandemic is disrupting CRVS systems all over the world, but well-functioning systems are more essential than ever. The high importance currently accorded to statistics on deaths as well as other statistics during the COVID-19 response, means that the key stakeholders in CRVS systems (civil registrars, national statistical offices and health) are under increased pressure and scrutiny. At the same time, the registration of vital events is being disrupted by lock downs and social distancing measures and civil registration authorities will need to catch up with delayed and postponed work as soon as the situation stabilizes. This webinar organised by ESCAP in collaboration with the Global CRVS Group gave civil registrars and statisticians from Asia and the Pacific a chance to share their experiences of maintaining services during this difficult period.
- Welcome: Gemma van Halderen (Director, Statistics Division ESCAP)
- Implementing the UN Legal Identity Agenda in times of COVID-19: Srdjan Mrkić (Chief, Demographic Statistics Section, UNSD)
- Guidance on maintaining CRVS systems during COVID-19 and other recent initiatives: Tanja Sejersen (Statistician, Statistics Division ESCAP)
- The Show Must Go On – CRVS and COVID-19: Jeff Montgomery (Registrar-General Civil Registration, New Zealand)
- Vital Statistics in Georgia: experience and way forward: Shorena Tsiklauri (Head of Population Census and Demographic Statistics Department National Statistics Office of Georgia)
- Discussion and sharing of experiences from the region
>> See others Asia-Pacific Stats Café series
- Implementing the United Nations Legal Identity Agenda in times of COVID-19 (UNSD)
- Guidance on maintaining CRVS system during COVID 19 and other recent activities (ESCAP)
- Challenges with Civil Registration and Vital Statistics in Malaysia due to COVID-19
- COVID-19 and CRVS the show must go on! (New Zealand)
- Vital Statistics in Georgia: experience and way forward