ESCAP’s work on the environmental futures of Asia and the Pacific shows that the region faces multiplying and converging environmental risks. Current projections highlight that a business-as-usual path leads towards an uninhabitable future. Progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), particularly targets associated with the environment, has been insufficient across the board and in some cases even regressed. However, a different and more healthy future is possible. Shifting development trajectory towards a green, resilient, and more equal Asia-Pacific in line with the 2030 Agenda, requires interventions to raise climate ambition, strengthen environmental governance, build sustainable cities, safeguard ecosystems’ health and manage pollution including air pollution.
The second edition ESCAP Executive Training on Environment and Development is organized by the Environment and Development Division (EDD) to inform and support dialogue among senior policy and decision makers on the current environment and development situation in the Asia-Pacific.
Building on the success of UNESCAP’s first Executive Training that took place in November 2020, this year’s training will continue to provide tools and methodologies to address evolving trends and challenges of long-term environmental and development issues the Asia-Pacific region faces to attain the best possible outcome for the environment. The training will also touch upon putting in place green COVID recovery plans.
This five-day virtual capacity development training program will take place from November 29 to December 3, 2021.
It will start with an opening session on: Fast Forwarding to Asia-Pacific's Future: shifting development trajectory towards a green, resilient, and more equal Asia-Pacific—in line with the 2030 Agenda.
The programme will then cover five thematic areas / EDD work streams, and each will have a specific focus:
- Raising Climate Ambition: Opportunities and Tools to Drive-up Climate Ambition;
- Safeguarding Ecosystems Health: Integrated Actions for Ecosystems and Ocean Health;
- Clean Air for All: Urban, Nation and Regional Cooperation for Air Pollution Action;
- Cities for a Sustainable Future: Strengthening Local Action to Accelerate the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; and
- Environmental Governance: Behavioural Science for Policymakers
Two side events will also be held along with the training modules:
- The Value of Empowerment and Participation on Implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Air Pollution: Gender and Health - Thematic Dialogue on Air Pollution