Disaster and Climate Risk Reduction
The ESBN Task force on Disaster and Climate Risk Reduction promotes the effective participation of business in disaster and climate risk reduction (DCRR).
The ESBN Task force on Disaster and Climate Risk Reduction promotes the effective participation of business in disaster and climate risk reduction (DCRR). The task force works to raise awareness on the role of business in disaster risk reduction (DRR) and climate change adaptation (CCA) and promote integration of DRR and CCA in business continuity planning to avoid business disruption. It also works to identify opportunities for addressing poverty within DRR and CCA and advocate for a better enabling environment and promote the resilience of businesses, particularly small and medium-sized enterprises in developing countries of Asia and the Pacific, keeping in mind the global commitment of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
ESBN Maritime Sector Strategies to Augment Tsunami Monitoring
The objective of this programme is to engage the maritime sector and submarine telecommunications networks on strategies to make use of high accuracy GPS and Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) data with ships, radar/laser sea surface height (for stationary platforms), and dedicated ocean floor cable-based observatories, respectively, to augment tsunami monitoring in a more cost-effective and more maintainable manner. This work came about due to the impacts of vandalism, theft, limited budgets, and technical damage that leave a fair fraction of all tsunami buoys not functional and thus greatly compromising early warning on tsunami. Because of this gap, lives and livelihoods of coastal communities continue to be needlessly exposed. A Steering Committee holds the reins on advancing this critical work.
List of activities:
- Maritime Sector Strategies to Augment Tsunami Monitoring, 22-23 August 2019, Singapore
- The 2nd ESBN Augmenting Tsunami Monitoring Steering Committee Meeting, 13 May 2020, Virtual Meeting
- The 3rd ESBN Augmenting Tsunami Monitoring Steering Committee Meeting, 23 November 2020, Virtual Meeting
- ESBN EGM: Parameters for Mapping under the Maritime Sector Strategies for Augmenting Tsunami Monitoring Programme, 29 March 2021, Virtual Meeting
- ASEAN Briefing on ESBN Maritime Sector Strategies to Augment Tsunami Monitoring, 31 March 2021, Virtual Meeting
- ESBN Roundatable: Strategies on Reducing and Utilizing CO2 for Cost Effective Business, 20 April 2021, Virtual Meeting