12 September 2002
Fourth WTO/UNESCAP Trade Policy Course on WTO Agreements and the
18-29 November 2002
Training Programme for Government Officials
The above-indicated course is being organized pursuant to paragraph 38 of the Doha Ministerial Declaration which states that “the delivery of WTO technical assistance shall be designed to assist developing and least-developed countries and low-income countries in transition to adjust to WTO rules and disciplines, implement obligations and exercise the rights of membership, including drawing on the benefits of an open, rules-based multilateral trading system”. The Course is also being organized pursuant to Resolution 57/5 of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific which requests the Executive Secretary to, interalia, facilitate the integration of developing countries and economies in transition into the international trading system by organizing training course to strengthen the participation of the region’s developing economies in world trade.
The main purpose of this course is to strengthen developing countries’ effective participation in the Doha negotiations and work programme through a deeper understanding of WTO Agreements, the issues involved and a better knowledge of the range of options available.
· To strengthen the participation of government officials in the negotiations related to the Doha Development Agenda;
· To increase their understanding and analysis of negotiating issues;
· To address all issues in the WTO work programme arising from the Doha Development Agenda and to highlight multilateral and regional perspectives.
· 25-30 mid-level Government officials with responsibilities for negotiations under the Doha Development Agenda;
· To ensure transparency in the process, any mid-level government official may apply with the support from their government and an official certification of their role in WTO-related issues;
· Selected participants will receive tuition, accommodation, and a modest per diem allowance as well as coverage of travel expenses.