on Poverty Reduction
ESCAP's work is organized around three main areas: poverty reduction,
managing globalization and addressing emerging social issues.
The Committee on Poverty Reduction convenes ESCAP member states
every year to discuss the activities of ESCAP in this area.
Objectives of the Committee include:
- Review the progress towards achieving the relevant millennium
development goals in the region
- Promote the exchange of experiences and transfer of best
practices on poverty reduction
- Analyse the development of statistics in the region, with
emphasis on poverty measures and other priority fields identified
by member states
- Assess the activities of ESCAP in the area of poverty reduction
and make recommendations for future work
- Promote collaboration between ESCAP and other relevant agencies
of the United Nations system as well as liaison with the private
sector and civil society organizations
The Committee presents its report to the Commission, to facilitate
its deliberations on poverty reduction.
The current structure is active since 2003. You can download the
relevant documents for each session at the following links.