The implementation of the SPECA programme started with identifying priority programme areas of cooperation. In each of those a leading country is defined, and respective Project Working Groups (PWGs) were formed. There is a number accomplished and on-going projects and activities under the SPECA framework. There is an impressive progress in several areas, like water, energy, transport. The PWGs carry out monitoring of the projects' implementation and make recommendations on further activities after completion of a project. They also define the parameters of the projects with the account of the needs of the interested countries, the possibilities of attracting the external and internal funds and the work performed in the respective area by other international organizations in the SPECA member countries.
According to the decision taken by the SPECA Governing Council (27 June 2006, Baku) the present status of the co-chairs of the PWGs as follows:
- PWG on Gender and Economy – Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan.
- PWG on ICT for Development – Azerbaijan
- PWG on Statistics – Tajikistan
- PWG on Trade – Tajikistan
- PWG on Transport and Border Crossing – Kazakhstan
- PWG on Water and Energy Resources - Kyrgyzstan