UN-APCICT Launches Digital Partnership Network
The United Nations Asian and Pacific Training Centre for Information and Communication Technology for Development (UN-APCICT) has launched the UN-APCICT Digital Partnership Network (DPN) which aims to develop a dedicated network of training institutions, academics, and researchers within the field of ICT for Human Capacity Building. 21 countries have already registered with the network.
A dedicated online Community of Practice is currently being developed to enable the sharing of information related to cutting edge research, publications, announcements, and activities generated within the community. The network aims to promote better sharing of information and good practices, and to provide a regional platform for greater networking and strategic partnerships between institutions and individuals. The philosophy of the network is summed up by a tagline: “Stronger Together’. The UN-APCICT Digital Partnership Network online community, scheduled for completion in early 2008, will specifically highlight regional/ national information on:
- Current status of ICT human capacity building programme;
- Best practices in ICT human capacity building programme;
- Implications of the digital divide on less developed countries and their citizens;
- Innovative, sustainable solutions to bridging the digital divide for development.
UN-APCICT will also provide the following materials in multiple formats to members of the DPN.
- “ICT World Today” - A bi-annual newsletter which features updates on technology trends for policy makers, ICT professionals and ICT trainers. The newsletter seeks to update the key stakeholders in the region on current technological trends and the use of ICT practices and applications for development.
- A gateway for partners in the implementation of ‘UN-APCICT’s Academy of ICT Essentials for Government Leaders". It features eight ICT4D modules on various aspects: planning, implementation and relevant current ICT4D issues.
UN-APCICT also seeks to actively utilize the DPN to share information and resources on its events and fellowships as well as soliciting proposals for curriculum development for ICT capacity building programmes.
The soft launch of the "UN-APCICT Digital Partnership Network” was held on the sidelines of the 2nd Regional e-Government Training Workshop which was organized by UN-APCICT in collaboration with the United Nations University – International Institute for Software Technology (UNU-IIST) from 8 to 12 October in Incheon, Republic of Korea.
Participants of the 2nd Regional e-Government Training Workshop at the official soft launch of UN-APCICT’s Digital Partnership Network
The Asian and Pacific Training Centre for Information and Communication Technology (APCICT) is a subsidiary body of the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP). It is located in Incheon, Republic of Korea.