Committee on Social Development, Fourth Session, 28-30 March 2016, Bangkok
The fourth session of the ESCAP Committee on Social Development will convene in Bangkok from 28 to 30 March, bringing together 19 countries in the Asia Pacific region to conduct substantive dialogues and to formulate concrete policy recommendations in the area of social development. The focus of this session will be strengthening the implementation of the social dimension of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and supporting a smooth school-to-work transition for young people in the region.
The Committee will identify priorities and emerging issues in order to shape and guide the future direction of ESCAP’s work on social development. It will promote regional dialogue and an exchange of experiences on effective policies and programmes, taking into consideration subregional and national aspects.
The Committee on Social Development is one of the eight committees that make up the subsidiary structure of ESCAP. It is held every other year.
What: Committee on Social Development, fourth Session
- Welcome Address by Dr. Shamshad Akhtar, United Nations Under-Secretary-General and Executive Secretary of ESCAP
- Inaugural Statement by Pol. Gen. Adul Saengsingkaew, Minister of Social Development and Human Security, Royal Thai Government
- Keynote address by Dr. Santosh Mehrotra, Professor of Economics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India and former Director-General, Institute of Applied Manpower Research, Planning Commission, Government of India
Where: United Nations Conference Centre, CR-3, Rajadamnern Nok Ave, Bangkok
When: 28-30 March 2016
- Time for Equality: The Role of Social Protection in Reducing Inequalities in Asia and the Pacific - photo op outside CR-4 10:15 hours, 28 March.
- Switched On: Youth at the Heart of Sustainable Development in Asia and the Pacific - including panel session in CR-3 12:30 hours 28 March.
- ‘Leave No One Behind: The importance of Civil Registration and Vital Statistics (CRVS) for Social Development and the 2030 Agenda’ in CR-3 at 11:30 hours, 30 March. The getinthepicture.org website will also be officially launched at this event.