Asia-Pacific commemoration of International Women’s Day 2017
The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) in coordination with the UN Women Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific and the UN Thematic Working Group on Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women will be hosting a commemoration of International Women’s Day 2017 at the United Nations Conference Centre in Bangkok. For 2017 the theme of the commemoration will be “Women in the Changing World of Work: Planet 50:50 and SDGs by 2030”. The commemoration will focus on commitments made to advancing gender equality and women’s empowerment by governments in Asia and the Pacific, specifically as it relates to women’s economic empowerment and the status of women in a changing world of work in the region.
Speakers at the commemoration include the ESCAP Executive Secretary and the Asia-Pacific Regional Director for UN Women. Additionally, as part of the commemoration a special panel will be brought together to discuss the challenges, gaps and opportunities around women’s economic empowerment and how work is changing in the Asia-Pacific region.
WHAT: Asia-Pacific Regional Commemoration of International Women’s Day 2017
- H.E. Ms. Saida Muna Tasneem, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Bangladesh and Permanent Representative to ESCAP
- H.E. Ms. Donica Pottie, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Canada to the Kingdom of Thailand
- Dr. Shamshad Akhtar, Executive Secretary of ESCAP
- Ms. Miwa Kato, Regional Director, UN Women Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific
- Mr. Francisco Cos Montiel, Regional Advisor on Women’s Economic Empowerment, UN Women Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific
- Ms. Siriporn Pajharawat, Developer Exchange Lead, Microsoft Thailand
WHERE: Conference Room 4, United Nations Conference Centre, Bangkok
WHEN: 8 March 2017, 14:00
WHY: To commemorate International Women’s Day 2017 in Asia and the Pacific