Asia-Pacific Commemoration of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women
28 November 2016, Bangkok, Thailand
The Asia-Pacific Commemoration of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women will be held at the UN Conference Centre in Bangkok from 10:45 – 12:15 on 28 November 2016.
This year, the global ‘UNiTE to End Violence against Women’ campaign focuses on the need for more sustainable financing for efforts to end violence against women and girls, in line with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. In this regard, the regional commemoration event will include an interactive panel discussion on the importance of gender-responsive budgeting as well as innovative measures from across the Asia-Pacific in preventing and ending violence against women and girls.
The event is being organized by the United Nations Regional Thematic Working Group on Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women, co-chaired by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) and UN Women.
Note to Editors: You or your representatives are cordially invited to attend --
What: Asia-Pacific Commemoration of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women
- Dr. Shamshad Akhtar, Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations and Executive Secretary of ESCAP
- Dr. Miwa Kato, Regional Director, UN Women Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific
- Dr. Sutada Mekrungruengkul, Assistant to the Commissioner of the National Human Rights Commission of Thailand; and Member of the Sub-Committee on Women’s Affairs, National Legislative Assembly, Thailand
- Ms. Malaykanh Keomounty, Director, Administrative and Personnel Division National Commission for the Advancement of Women Secretariat, Lao PDR
- Mr. James Holden, Human Resources Director (Thailand, Myanmar and Lao PDR), Procter & Gamble
- Mr. Sangeet Gopal Kayastha, Coordinator and Focal Person, Y-PEER Asia-Pacific Centre
- Ms. Jean Chong, Founder of Sayoni
When: 28 November 2016, 10:45 – 12:15 hours
Where: Conference Room 3, United National Conference Centre, Rajadamnern Nok Avenue, Bangkok
Watch: YouTube Live Webcast - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r85nv1atmvU
Note to Journalists
You or your colleagues are cordially invited to attend the Asia-Pacific Commemoration of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. You are kindly requested to register in advance by providing your name and the news organization you represent as well as your photo (passport size) to [email protected] in order to facilitate entrance to the UN Conference Centre.