The objectives of the workshops were to intiate and facilitate cooperation among Asia-Pacific countries and regional initiatives related to space technology utilization focusing mainly on disaster risk reduction/management (DRRM) and sustainable development of landlocked developing countries (LLDCs) and small islands developing states (SIDS).
The discussions during the workshops focused on end-to-end DRRM and sustainable development in developing countries capitalizing on comprehansive space technologies not only remote sensing and GIS technology, but also Multi-Global Navigation Satellites Systems and communication satellites. The use of satellites for disaster forecasting, preparedness, early warning, evacuation, relationships among cuntries, initiatives and organizations working with space technology were further enhanced and some new collaborative possibilities were also highlighted (more detailed information is available in the reports of the meetings).
The workshops served as a good starting point for implementing the "Asia-Pacific Plan of Action for Applications of Space Technology and Geographical Information Systems for Disaster Risk Reduction and Sustainable Development, 2012-2017", developed by the Intergovernmental Meeting on Asia-Pacific Years of Action for Applications of Space Technology and the Geographic Information System for Disaster Risk Reduction and sustainable development, in December 2012.
Purpose and Expected Outcomes - Mr. Michio Ito, Expert, Disaster Risk Reduction, IDD, ESCAP
Workshop on Space Applications for Disaster Risk Reduction and Management
Country presentations - Part 1
1. Bangladesh - Mr. Munir Chowdhury, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief
2. Myanmar - Mr. Soe Htwe, Director General, Relief and Resettlement Department, Ministry of Social Welfare
3. Sri Lanka - Ms. A.A. Anoja Kumudu Kumari Seneviratne, Acting Director, Disaster management Centre
4. Lao People's Democratic Republic - Mr. Singthong Khamone, Deputy Director, Lao Satellite Project, Ministry of Post and Telecommunication
5. Mongolia - Mr. Baljinnyam Purevnyam, Head of System Application Section, Emergency Operation Center, National Emergency Management Agency
6. Bhutan - Mr. Shering Wangchuk, Program Officer, Department of Disaster Management, Ministry of Home and Cultural Affairs
7. Cambodia - Country Presentation, Mr. Ro Narith, Head of GIS Office, Ministry of Land Management, Cambodia
Overview of regional initiatives/frameworks for disaster risk management
1. RESEAP - Mr. Ram S. Tiwaree, Economic Affairs Officer, SAS, IDD, ESCAP
2. RIMES - Dr. Dwinjuda K. Das, Team Leader, System Research and Development, RIMES
3. Sentinel Asia - Dr. Kazuya Kaku, Planning Manager, Sentinel Asia
4. ADRC - Mr. Masami Sugiura, Senior Researcher, ADRC
5. GIC/AIT - Dr. Manzul Hazarika, Geoinformation Center, AIT
6. RESTEC - Mr. Atsushi Ono, Senior Manager, RESTEC (Private Company)
7. SPACE APPLICATION FOR ENVIRONMENT (SAFE)
Activities for disaster risk reduction and success stories
1. Indonesia - "The Application of Space-based Technology to Support Disaster Management in Indonesia", Mr. Agus Hidayat, Director, Remote Sensing Application Center, Japan
2. Sri Lanka - Dr. Giriraj Amarnath, Researcher, Remote Sensing and GIS, International Water Management Institute
3. Bhutan - Mr. Pema Thinley, ICT/GIC officer, Department of Disaster Management, Royal Government of Bhutan
4. Philippines - "Sentinel Asia Success Story in the Philippines", Dr. Arturo S. Daag, Chief, Geology, Geophysics Research and Development Division, Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, Department of Science and Technology
5. GIC/AIT - Satellite Data Analysis for Emergency Disaster Mapping, Dr. Masahiko Nagai, Associate Director, Geo-information Center, AIT
6. Domestic Disaster Monitoring Activities by JAXA in Japan - Mr. Hiroyuki Okada, Engineer, Disaster Management Support Systems Office, SAPC, JAXA
Second Workshop on the Use of Multi-Global Navigation Satellite Systems for Sustainable Development
Country presentations - Part 2
8. Fiji - Mr. Jone Bacau, Principal Administrative Officer, Ministry of Principal Development and National Disaster Management
9. Samoa - Mr. Titimanu Alain Simi, Senior Disaster Risk Reduction Officer, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment
10. Maldives - Mr. Ahmed Nashid, Surveyor Maldives Land and Survey Authority
11. Vanuatu - Mr. William B. Worworkon, Vanuatu Meteorological Services
12. Pakistan - Mr. Muhammed Muneeb Shaikh, Assistant Manager, SUPARCO
Multi-GNSS and GNSS
1. MGNSS and MGA - Mr. Hiroaki Tateshita, Secretariat, Multi GNSS Asia (MGA)
2. QZSS (Japan) - Mr. Satoshi Kogure, Mission Manager, Satellite Applications and Promotion Center Space Applications Mission
3. BEIDOU (China) - Mr. Yongchao Geng, Deputy Director, CETC International Co., Ltd. Mr. Guangchen Guo, Senior Expert of International Cooperation, China Satellite Navigation Office, CETC International Co., Ltd.
Utilization of Multi-GNSS and GNSS
1. Malaysia (Agriculture) - Dr. Aimrun Wayayok, Senior Lecturer, Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, University of Putra Malaysia
2. Japan (Multi-GNSS Educational Programme) - "Capacity Building Activity on GNSS in Japan", Prof. Akio Yasuda, President, Institute of Positioning Navigation and Timing of Japan.
3. Malaysia (Mass Movement) - Mr. Ahmad Shuhaimi Ibrahim, Principal Assistant Director, Public Works Department of Malaysia
4. Nepal (Geodetic Survey) - Mr. Jagat Raj Paudel, Head, Geodetic Survey Branch
5. GIC/AIT (Research) - Application Oriented Multi-GNSS experiments at Geoinformatics Center of AIT, Mr. Chathura Hasanka Wickramasinghe, GIC, AIT
6. GISTDA (Research) - Mr. Tatiya Chuentragun, Cheif of Value Added Product Division, GISTDA.
7. Japan (Tsunami Warning System) - Mr. Hiroaki Tateshita, Engineer, Satellite Applications and Promotion Center Space Applications Mission Directorate, JAXA.
Regional activities in disaster risk reduction
1. Needs and aspirations for Space Applications in Disaster Risk Reduction and Management - Mr. Sanjay K. Srivastava, Regional Advisor on Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), Information and Communications Technology and Disaster Risk Reduction Division (IDD), ESCAP
2. Space Technology Applications for Disaster Risk Management in Asian Development Bank - Mr. Yusuke Muraki, Space Technology Specialist, ADB
3. ESCAP Multi-Donor Trust Fund for Tsunami, Disaster and Climate Preparedness in Indian Ocean and Southeast Asian Countries -
Mr. Alf Blikberg, Programme Officer, DRR, IDD, ESCAP