Inter-regional seminar on national statistical systems reviews in Small Island Developing States
Link to download group photos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByEfoVVpdu29R2xhbUtaZERwMW8?usp=...
Link to Regional Programme on Economic Statistics: http://communities.unescap.org/economic-statistics/regional-programme-ec...
The inter-regional seminar on national statistical systems reviews in Small Island Developing States (SIDS), hosted by the Fiji Government and jointly organised by ESCAP, ECLAC and UNSD, builds on the recently concluded review of the national statistical system of the Maldives and other SIDS that have already conducted such an exercise. The Seminar stimulated an exchange of best practices and lessons learned among countries having similar circumstances and eventually enlighten other SIDS in the Pacific and the Caribbean that wish to undertake such a review in the near future. It was also expected that regional and sub-regional organisations would share after the seminar the outcome and conclusions with their respective member states that were not invited.
The following key objectives have been identified for the seminar:
a) To present and discuss sound institutional environments, governance and coordination mechanisms and programmatic tools that ensure a sustainable development of statistical capacities in line with the principles of official statistics and other global and regional recommendations.
b) To expose and discuss various options available for undertaking a review, and key considerations which need to be addressed for a review to be successful.
c) To share the approach adopted and main findings from the national statistical system review of the Maldives and invited countries who have undertaken a similar exercise, and hear from and provide advice to invited countries wishing to undertaking a similar exercise in the near future.
d) To share best practices and lessons learned on how to implement and monitor recommendations proposed in the final reports of national statistical systems reviews.
e) To share challenges and best practices in designing, implementing, monitoring and updating national strategies for the development of statistics and discuss how could national statistical systems reviews contribute to this process.
- Session 1.1: Institutional Environment for Official Statistics (UNSD)
- Session 1.2: Components of a National Statistical System Review (ESCAP)
- Session 2.1: Initiatives in the Pacific (ESCAP and UN-RCO)
- Session 2.1: Possible gap in NSS reviews as part of NSDS
- Session 2.2: Initiatives to Develop Statistical Capacities in Caribbean SIDS: NSS Reviews in the Context of the 2030 Agenda
- Session 2.3: Initiatives to develop statistical capacities and strengthening institutional environment in LAC
- Session 2.3: Selected initiatives (ESCAP)
- Session 2.3: Support programme for Small Island Developing States (PARIS21)
- Session 2.3: Global Initiatives for Sustainable Development Data (UNSD)
- Session 3.1: NSS Review tool adopted by Maldives
- Session 3.1: NSS Assessment tools (PARIS21 Study)
- Session 4.1: Fiji National Statistical System Assessment
- Session 4.1: Saint Lucia: Experience in Undertaking an NSS Review – Approach, Challenges and Current Status
- Session 4.1: National Statistical Review - Samoa Experience
- Session 4.1: NSS Reviews (Suriname)
- Session 5:The status of implementation of results from Mongolian Global Assessment
- Session 6.1: International Review on NSS for SIDS (Kiribati)
- Session 6.1: Planning NSS review (Tonga)
- Session 6.1: Statistical System Review process (Vanuatu)