Expert Group Meeting on the Implementation of National Reviews and Consultations on Legal and Policy Barriers to Universal Access to HIV Services
The Asia-Pacific High-level Intergovernmental Meeting on Assessment of Progress against Commitments in the Political Declaration on HIV/AIDS and the Millennium Development Goals endorsed a regional framework for action, or “ESCAP roadmap to 2015,” to support the Asia-Pacific region in the implementation of the 2011 Political Declaration on HIV/AIDS and ESCAP resolutions 66/10 and 67/9.
The ESCAP roadmap includes the conduct of national reviews and multi-stakeholder consultations on legal and policy barriers to catalyze progress towards the elimination of HIV-related stigma, discrimination and violence, in particular with regard to key populations at higher risk of HIV infection, by 2015, as contained in the Declaration and commitments made under ESCAP resolutions 66/10 and 67/9. The national reviews and/or consultations have been completed in at least 18 countries in the ESCAP region and a number of other countries in the region are expected to undertake national reviews/consultations in 2014. The objectives of the Expert Group Meeting, consequently, were to share experiences and lessons learnt from national reviews and consultations on legal and policy barriers to universal access to HIV services which have been held, and discuss the different models for implementing the recommendations arising from this process.
- Opening of the meeting
- Introduction to the meeting and objectives
- Country experiences in conducting national reviews and consultations on legal and policy barriers to universal access to HIV services
- Lessons learnt and good practices in conducting national reviews and consultations on legal and policy barriers to universal access to HIV services
- Opportunities for engaging local governments in national processes
- Engagement of civil society in addressing legal and policy barriers to universal access to HIV services
- Moving forward with the implementation of outcomes of national reviews and consultations
- Meeting evaluation and closing