The Asian and Pacific Energy Forum
Energy security is generally recognized as a common goal and an important prerequisite for development. It is also a concept that varies across countries, taking into account different economic, environmental and social aspects. Understanding the need for regional cooperation and the opportunities that arise, the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) is convening the Asian and Pacific Energy Forum (APEF 2013) in the wider context of sustainable development.
ESCAP Resolution 67/2 on "Promoting regional cooperation for enhanced energy security and the sustainable use of energy in Asia and the Pacific" calls for APEF 2013
- to discuss the progress achieved in the region in addressing energy security challenges at the regional, national and household levels, and
- to facilitate continuous dialogue among member States with a view to enhancing energy security and working towards sustainable development.
APEF 2013 is the first ministerial conference of its kind to bring together more than 50 member states from the Asia-Pacific region on energy. To prepare, an extensive preparatory process has taken place since mid-2012, building up to the main event in May.
The Russian Federation is hosting APEF in Vladivostok from 27 to 30 May 2013. There will be a Senior Officials Meeting and a Ministerial Session, along with side events. The detailed programme will be added in February.
Participants will include representatives from ESCAP member states and associate members, representatives from the UN-Energy Asia-Pacific network, research institutes and regional organizations, as well as members of civil society and the private sector.
- APEF Subregional Consultation Meeting for South-East Asia, 3-5 October 2012
- APEF Subregional Consultation Meeting for the Pacific, 8-9 October 2012
- APEF Subregional Consultation Meeting for North and Central Asia, 25-26 October 2012
- APEF Subregional Consultation Meeting for South and South-West Asia, 6-7 November 2012
- APEF Subregional Consultation Meeting for East and North-East Asia, 12-13 November 2012
- Expert Group Meeting: Preparation for the Asian Pacific Energy Forum (2013)
- Regional Preparatory Meeting for the Asian and Pacific Energy Forum