You are here: Home > Orientation Hall > Annex >
Economic instruments in the Philippines
Initiatives in the use of economic instruments and resource pricing for improved environmental management underway in Philippines
- Tax incentives for industries that install anti-pollution devices (a history of failure as companies try to gain advantages without real compliance).
- Pollution charges imposed on mine wastes and tailings.
- Pilot-testing of the use of pollution charge to industries discharging their effluents into the Laguna Lake
- Waste-exchanges among private firms, particularly waste that can be used as organic fertilizer
- Deposit-refund system on glass and plastic softdrink containers and steel drums used for chemicals
- Risk-liability systems in the form of Environmental Guarantee Fund (EGF) which is a financial arrangement entered into by industries that have highly toxic waste streams.