III. CASE STUDY OF ENVIRONMENTAL REHABILITATION PROJECT IN MALAKAND DIVISION OF NORTH-WEST FRONTIER PROVINCE
D. Scope of the project
The project area encompasses 325 villages. The project scope of work covers 85 main villages or 26 per cent of the population centres within of the project area. The main physical targets comprise the greening of 87,500 acres. Planting of vegetation will be carried out on 60,000 acres (68.5 per cent), while on the remaining 27,500 acres (31.5 per cent) the project will seeded. The improvement of grass cover by rotational grazing and grass cutting involves 42,500 acres of range management area. Village development schemes are being undertaken which include 22 km of village roads and 42.5 km of water channels. Soil conservation consists of erosion control by natural regeneration of the vegetation and by gully plugging/check damming.