I. PLANS AND PLANNING PROCESSFive-Year Plans and ADPs. In fact, they are part of the national (federal and provincial) annual budget for the financial year (July-June), and are approved by the federal and provincial legislatures. The development schemes of the local government institutions and the commercial organizations are not reflected in PSDP or annual plans.
At present, a major share of the total development programme is allocated to federal projects which relate to major infrastructural sectors, such as transport and communications, and energy, while the remainder is allocated to the Provincial Development Programme. Of the total Provincial Development Programme, 10 per cent is allocated as a special allocation to NWFP and Balochistan; the remaining 90 per cent is allocated among the four provinces on a population basis. In addition, the federal government allocates funds to the provinces to cover essential provincial projects under the Special Development Programme, which cannot be included in the provincial ADPs as a result of resource constraints.
In accordance with the priorities set out in the five-year plan and the availability of resources, tentative sectoral allocations to the federal ministries and provincial governments for the next ADP are worked out. They are then communicated to the federal ministries and provincial governments. At the provincial level the preparation of ADP is initiated and coordinated by the Planning, Environment and Development Department in consultation with the Finance Departments, executing line departments, autonomous bodies and corporations. The planning agencies, both at the federal and provincial levels, remain in close contact horizontally with the concerned ministries and vertically with each other on a continuous basis during the formation of ADP.
The Annual Plan Coordination
Committee (APCC), chaired by the Finance Minister, discusses the national
and provincial ADPs before obtaining NEC approval. APCC meets three to
four weeks after the deliberations by the Federal
and Provincial Priorities Committee. Provincial governments are represented
in the meetings by the Additional Chief Secretaries of the Planning, Environment
and Development Department /Boards and the provincial finance Secretaries.
That forum enables provincial governments to present their problems and
observations, or suggestions and demands, to the federal government. If
the provinces are not satisfied with the decisions taken in APCC they get
a further opportunity to plead their case in the meeting of NEC where each
ADP is finally approved. That budgetary procedures shows the predominant
role played by the federal government in the determination of sectoral
allocations in the national and provincial ADPs.