Project: for environment and sustainable development
Integrating Environmental Considerations into Economic Policy Making Processes (phase II)
About the project
- Duration of the project:
- November 1999 - ongoing
- To assist capacity building, policy formulation and implementation efforts to integrate environmental considerations into economic policy-making processes through Internet-based exchange-of-experiences programme (Virtual Conference)
- Participating countries:
- East and South East Asia:
China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Thailand
- South Asia:
Bangladesh, India, Islamic Republic of Iran, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
- Pacific Islands:
Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.
The project envisages that the majority of participation in the courses will be from the following groups
- economists in charge of economic and development policy planning
- economists with knowledge on and concerns for environmental issues
- counterpart institutions - preferably include those which have primary focus on economic development, i.e., central planning institutions in the governments and economic research institutions.
- A tested Virtual Conference (consisting of the two major components described above) in flexible, self teach computer modules, supplemented by printed material;
- Delivery of 12 training courses, two courses of each of the two components per subregion;
- Demonstration of selected parts of the Virtual Conference programme at the Ministerial Conference on Environment and Development, September 2000. (briefing notes and test version of the 'Virtual Conference" programme)
- A final project report containing details relating to the execution of the project.
Meetings and workshops
- For South Asia: in collaboration with South Asia Cooperative Environment Programme (SACEP), Colombo, Sri Lanka, 12-14 June 2000
- For East and Southeast Asia in collaboration with Philippine Council for Sustainable Development (PSCD) and Earth Council, Manila, Philippines, 19-21 March 2001
- For Pacific Islands in collaboration with Commonwealth Secretariat and South Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP), Apia, Samoa, 11-15 June 2001
- On-line workshop (Virtual Policy Studio) in collaboration with AIT Urban Management Centre and LOGOTRI
- For East and Southeast Asia in collaboration with KDI School of Public Administration and Management, Seoul, 25-27 July 2002
- For Sri Lanka, in collaboration with South Asia Cooperative Environment Programme (SACEP), Colombo, Sri Lanka, 15 - 16 June 2000
- For the Philippines, in cooperation with the Philippine Council for Sustainable Development (PCSD), Earth Council and the Foundation for Philippine Environment (FPE), Manila, 21-23 March 2001
- For Thailand, Bangkok, 25-26 October 2001
Selected country studies conducted under the phase I of the project.
| Publications | Projects | Calendar | DRPAD | ESCAP | UN Homepage |
Please contact the webmaster with questions or comments about this web site.
For any queries concerning the substantive content of the page, please contact DRPAD homepage.