Project: for environment and sustainable development
Integrating Environmental Considerations into Economic Policy Making Processes (phase I)
About the project
- Duration of the project:
- August 1996 - June 1998
- To assist capacity building, policy formulation and implementation efforts to integrate environmental considerations into economic policy-making processes.
- Participating countries:
- East and South East Asia:
China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Thailand
- South Asia:
Bangladesh, India, Islamic Republic of Iran, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
- Pacific Islands:
Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.
- The project targeted experts in various economic and environment related government ministries and in subregional organizations
- A series of 17 country-based studies on institutional arrangements and mechanisms at the national, local or sector level and A series of 9 country/sector studies on modalities for environmental assessments
- A series of 6 subregional synthesis papers, two per subregion for three subregions, one set on institutional arrangements and mechanisms and one set on modalities for environmental assessments. Each synthesis paper contains an analysis of commonalties and best practices as well as conclusions and recommendations relevant to the subregion;
- Two regional synthesis papers, one on institutional arrangements and mechanisms and one on methods for assessing natural resource endowments, each containing conclusions and recommendations on best practices applicable region-wide;
- Conclusions and recommendations of the expert group meetings are to be fed into training modules expected to be formulated as part of a follow-up project
Meetings and workshops
Subregional expert group meetings to exchange experiences, identify best practices and make recommendations on topics, content and format of training required
- For South Asia: in collaboration with South Asia Cooperative Environment Programme (SACEP), Colombo, Sri Lanka, 24-26 November 1997
- For Pacific Islands: in collaboration with ESCAP Pacific Operation Centre (EPOC), Port Vila, Vanuatu, 25-27 February 1998
- For East and Southeast Asia: in collaboration with the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), Manila, the Philippines, 30 March - 1 April 1998
Regional expert group meetings to consolidate outcomes of subregional expert group meeting into recommendations on best practices
| Publications | Projects | Calendar | DRPAD | ESCAP | UN Homepage |
Please contact the webmaster with questions or comments about this web site.
For any queries concerning the substantive content of the page, please contact DRPAD homepage.