Project for least developed, landlocked and island developing countries
Identification of the institutional constraints of selected ESCAP least developed countries in implementing macroeconomic policies and lessons from selected East and South-East Asian countries
About the project
- Duration of the project:
- August 1995-June 1998
- To strengthen macroeconomic management in the least developed countries with special attention to institutional bottlenecks to the implementation of monetary, fiscal and exchange rate policies, and institutional arrangements established for effective coordination and management of these policies.
- Participating countries:
- Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Kiribati, the Lao People's Democratic Republic, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Samoa, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu, with Republic of Korea and Thailand as reference countries.
The project targeted officials of central banks, ministries of finance and
economy, and planning agencies.
- Participants in the consultative meeting adopted a set of findings and conclusions which identified institutional constraint and recommended policy measures on institutional development for macroeconomic policy management and coordination. These recommendations are reproduced in Overcoming Institutional Constraints to Implementing Macroeconomic Policies, Least Developed Countries Series, No 1.
An issues paper containing the main findings, conclusions and recommendations of the consultative meeting was presented and discussed during the third session of the Special Body on Least Developed and Landlocked Developing Countries, Bangkok, 21-22 April 1997. The Special Body adopted a set of conclusions and recommendations on the topic of institution development for macroeconomic policy management and coordination (see Report of the Special Body on Least Developed and Landlocked Developing Countries on its third session, E/ESCAP/1064, paras. 1-48).
A study visit programme for senior government officials of interested least developed countries to government institutions in the Republic of Korea was held in Seoul from 22 to 26 June 1998 in collaboration with the Korea Development Institute.
Meetings and workshops
- Expert group meeting among the authors of country case studies and the consultant preparing the overview paper,
Bangkok, 16-18 October 1996
- Consultative meeting for exchange of experience, and formulation of conclusions and recommendations of selected country officials and resource persons,
Bangkok, 2-4 April 1997
| Publications | Projects | Calendar | DRPAD | ESCAP | UN Homepage |
- Overcoming Institutional Constraints to Implementing Macroeconomic Policies, Least Developed Countries Series, No.1 (1998)
Please contact the webmaster with questions or comments about this web site.
For any queries concerning the substantive content of the page, please contact DRPAD homepage.