Project: for Regional economic cooperation
Improved management of the financial sector for its enhanced stability and support to trade and investment
About the project
- Duration of the project:
- May 1997- December 1998
- (a) To study and discuss the pre-conditions and implications of financial sector liberalization and its integration into the global financial sector on the real economy in terms of its effects on interest rates, inflation, exchange rates, and trade and investment flows, and the problems emerging therefrom.
- (b) To study and discuss the modalities used in selected countries of the region for handling the problems encountered in supervising and regulating the activities of the rapidly expanding and changing financial sector in the new liberal atmosphere with greater reliance on the market.
- (c) Based on the studies and discussions, to develop technical material for dissemination throughout the region (i) on ways and means of coping with the negative implications of financial liberalization and globalization on the real economy, and (ii) on the various ways of tackling the problems encountered in supervising and regulating the financial sector.
- Participating countries:
- Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Viet Nam
- Participants in the seminar will adapt a set of findings and conclusions which identify issues in financial sector management and recommend policy measures for improved management of the financial sector. The conclusions and recommendations will be published in a paper.
Meetings and workshops
- Seminar on improved management of the financial sector for its enhanced stability and support to trade and investment
Bangkok, 20-22 May 1998.
| Publications | Projects | Calendar | DRPAD | ESCAP | UN Homepage |
- Country studies on India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Turkey are prepared. A publication of the technical material will be prepared on the basis of the studies and discussions in the seminar.
Please contact the webmaster with questions or comments about this web site.
For any queries concerning the substantive content of the page, please contact