Project: for poverty alleviation
Growth with equity: policy lessons from experiences of selected countries in the ESCAP region
About the project
- Duration of the project:
- September 1997-March 1999
- Promotion of broad-based economic growth to improve the distribution of income and to alleviate poverty, with special attention given to
- (1) studying the patterns of economic growth, income distribution and poverty and their determinants including government policies in selected countries
--> Six country studies on India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Republic of Korea and Thailand were prepared on the subject. A regional synthesis paper based on the country studies and other relevant research material was also prepared.
- (2) promoting exchange of experiences on formulating economic and social policies to promote more equitable economic growth.
--> A regional seminar on growth with equity was held in Seoul in June 1999, in close collaboration with the Korea Development Institute to promote exchange of experiences. The conclusions of the seminar are in the form of policy recommendations to promote more equitable economic growth.
- (3) bringing out a publication on growth with equity for wider dissemination of policy lessons.
(publication listed below)
- Participating countries:
- Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, the Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Viet Nam.
- The project is targetting senior government officials responsible for pollicy making
Meetings and workshops
- Expert group meeting, first half, 1998.
- Regional seminar, second half, 1998.
Growth with Equity: Policy Lessons From the experiences of Selected Asian Countries,(1999) (ST/ESCAP/2007)
| Publications | Projects | Calendar | DRPAD | ESCAP | UN Homepage |
Please contact the webmaster with questions or comments about this web site.
For any queries concerning the substantive content of the page, please contact DRPAD homepage.